Means-Tested Free School Meal Eligibility - Feb 2, 2022
Means-tested free school meals are available for children from Reception to Year 6 whose parents are in receipt of the following benefits:
• Universal Credit – your household earned income must be less than £7,400 (£616 per month) a year (after tax and not including any benefits).
• Income Support
• Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Income related Employment Support Allowance
• Support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
• Working Tax Credit run-on, this is paid for four weeks after Working Tax Credit ends
Parents and carers can apply:
- via Gateshead Council’s website at Free school meals – Gateshead Council ,
- by telephoning 0191 4333729 or
- by completing the free school meals application form below
If you think you might be eligible we would really encourage you to apply, as not only will your child receive a free school lunch every day, but also our school will receive pupil premium funding of over £1000 for the next six years. This funding is used to pay for additional teaching staff, educational visits, school activities, equipment or extra tuition.
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) are provided free of charge by the Government. We would still encourage you to apply for means-tested free school meals if you think you may be eligible so that we can make good use of the additional pupil premium funding for the benefit of the children.
If you have a query regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact the Free School Meals team at: email@example.com or telephone 0191 4333729.